Monday, February 6, 2012

How I learned to stop worrying and love eating fish

When I was growing up, having fish for dinner meant one of two things: If it was Lent, then it meant prepackaged frozen fish-sticks on Friday; if it was summer, then it meant eating what we caught--everything from crappie and bluegill to walleye and perch (an occasional bullhead or catfish as well).  I'm sure that my mom made an occasional tuna casserole ("HotDish") or tuna fish sandwiches, but to my young mind, fish really meant either something pretty awful or something really good. Of course, former relates to denial--and the deaf ears to my pleading to give up fish for Lent.  And the latter to freedom--of early mornings and long afternoons eating sunflower seeds and staring at bobbers until their image was imprinted in my mind.


Although neither Catholic nor a fisher-woman, Dawn Rae's experiences with fish were close enough to mine that she would only eat fried shrimp or fried cod until shortly after we were married. As with most things related to food, I considered these restrictions a challenge: find ways to incorporate fish in our weekly (errr......monthly) meal plan (errr.....plan?....anyway).  Since we've been in Louisiana, DR will now at least try fish that has not been copiously breaded and fried--although it (and homemade tartar sauce) is still necessary if I want to avoid leftovers.

Speaking of Louisiana (and barring a smooth transition), one would think that there would be a literal cornucopia of fresh seafood available at grocery stores here.  I mean, it's a coastal state, right? Known for seafood, right?  Maybe if one lives in New Orleans that's true...otherwise, not so much.  The options that are available seem to be the 3 "Cs" of northwestern LA: Catfish, Crawfish, and Crab.  That's fine if you want to deep fry, buy 20lbs of live crawfish, or make gumbo.  Good, yes. A once-a-week meal, no. In a word, unless I want to drive an hour or so, LA is a disappointment as far as fresh seafood goes.

Shrimp, well...., there's always that guy on next to the interstate or the the seafood market that sells fresh frozen in 10lb lots. It's always a toss up between the frozen crap from China at Walmart or spending an afternoon shelling and deveining.  Don't listen to Rachel Ray (for this and many other reasons): if you want to cook fresh shrimp, expect to work......"EZ Peel" is a misnomer.

So why have I spent so much time on something that at this point (if you're still reading) seems anathema to my tastebuds? 3 things: Oysters on the 1/2 shell, sushi, and grouper from the Gulf Coast of Florida.  A 3 day vacation in Destin, FL means fresh fish at nearly every meal.  Where oysters in New Orleans are  often muddy, those in Destin are clean  with a glorious saltwater aftertaste; where sushi here is good but not extraordinary, there I can get unctuous uni for $8.00; where here I have to get by with hockey puck style frozen Grouper, there I can eat both grouper fillets and "cheeks."  Nothing is needed except the grouper, lemon, butter, and a heat source: yum.  And, they are a good source of Omega 3s---helpful, or so my "real" doctor tells me.

PS: don't get me started on Tilapia: mealy, tasteless, and overpriced . Definately do not order it at a restaurant.
 
Next time: thoughts on excess and overindulgence--from clam chowder and chicken wings to turkey and pulled pork.






1 comment:

  1. Nice, Dr. Bauman. One does assume that living anywhere in LA = seafood. Wonder how much of the seafood in New Orleans is local.

    With fish, there is no middle ground!

    ReplyDelete